Jenny and me on our first day of school at the TTU Center! (I know, I look SO pleased to be there!) There is a random statue thing with red and black "Spanish" clothing, so we decided it was appropriate to do the "guns up" with the Spanish Red Raider!)
A few of my friends and me on Calle Betis! It's right by the river- very pretty! Hopefully I'll make it back during the daytime to get some pictures of the water!
Vale, ahora cosas mas importantes! (Ok, now more important things!)
Itálica!
All we were told for this excursion was to be at "La estación de autobuses en la Plaza de Armas" at 9am. Well awesome, that's an hour long walk from where I live! So, I promptly asked Mamá how to get there using the buses and it was a success!!! We left the house at 8:30am and walked down the road to the bus stop right in front of the "Media Markt" and waited for the C2 bus to come, got on, saw where the C4 buses started stopping, and got off and waited about 5 minutes for the C4 bus and then got off at "Plaza de Armas"! We made it to the meeting place!!
My friends Josh and Bree and me at the bus station! (Jenny decided to jump in this pic too..HAHA)
This is me in the center of the plaza in Itálica! This area was the main place for the Romans to battle with Lions and other beasts. This is also the central area for the advanced water systems that the Romans discovered. This area is so dry that the Romans ingeniously invented ways to store as much water as possible, much of the water collection systems invented by the Romans are still evident in Sevilla today. The only problem with the time of the Romans is that they used a lot of lead piping, so the slaves and people who drank a lot of water died of lead poisoning, but this wasn't a problem for the Roman elite- they mostly drank wine!
Katie and me by one of the Roman ruins! I think this was once a house.
This is a replica of the Gladiator tablet, it's in an enclave of the ruin- so neat! The real one is in the downtown museum.
This is a hallway around the main open area of Itálica! This city was built in 205 BC and parts of it still stand today. So amazing!! Here are some historical facts: the Romans were a scientifically advanced, stone culture, so many of their building and foundational ideas are still supporting Sevilla today. When the Visigoths conquered Itálica, they destroyed as much of the Roman building as possible because they didn't understand or use stone for foundations, they were a wood culture, so this is why we don't see the remains today.
There is SO much culture and history in Spain!! It's amazing to think that this area was inhabited by people centuries BEFORE Christ was born. It's so unbelievable.
Well anyway, the bus ride from Sevilla to Itálica is about 20 minutes, so we got there around 10am. We walked around and took pictures until we left around 1:15pm. When we arrived back at the bus station in Seville, a few of my friends and I decided on the way back to our houses that we wanted to shop around Sevilla. We shopped until about 4. All in all... I walked for 6 hours straight today. MY FEET ARE IN SO MUCH PAIN!!!!! Lets just say that when I got back home, I went straight to by bed and I haven't moved yet. Right now would be a great moment for a full body massage.
Spain is such an interesting place. I'm still not used to it! On a happier note, I was trying to use Spanish this morning and I used an indirect object pronoun without even thinking about it!!!!!!!!! I'm starting to get the hang of speaking Spanish!! I just need to learn more vocabulary...
Until next time!
Love,
Merick :)
No comments:
Post a Comment