Thursday, January 28, 2010

New tutors and more fun!!

Tuesday nights are so much fun!! Every Tuesday night at 8pm, all the Tech students meet up at the Center to be paired up with Spanish tutors for about 2 hours. When Jenny and I were walking to the Center, we ran into Lina- Jenny´s tutor from last Tuesday!! This is the same Lina I´ve written about before. She is the cutest, smallest Peruvian girl and so much fun!! Unfortunately, I didn´t get paired with her this week, I got a Venezuelan guy named Pedro. Pedro was one of the nicest guys I´ve ever met!! He said that Spanish customs are very different from those of Venezuela, like in Venezuela, they don´t kiss on the cheek upon meeting, the do the handshake and also, they speak much slower. He said even he has a hard time understanding what the Sevillans are staying because they talk so quickly and leave out many syllables. So that doesn´t give me much hope... if a native Spanish speaker can´t even understand them... there is NO hope for me!!

It´s really nice having Spanish friends because it gives me an avenue to practice my Spanish all the time. I talk to my Spanish friends on Facebook and Skype and it´s really nice to practice Spanish by speaking and typing!! I´m psuedo teaching Lina english phrases, so far she knows My name is and I am from. You know, the important things, she already knows boys, to party and all those... HAHAHA. She is a funny kid. It´s so weird reading messages from Spanish people because they laugh jajaja because the j is the h sound... so weird. I just don´t know if I will ever be able to do that.

I can´t believe we´ve already been here for 2 almost 3 weeks. It seems like the time has just flown by, but then at the same time is seems like we´ve been here for a year. Thinking about it, I don´t ever want to go home!! But, I do like living in the US.... there´s heat there and long showers... I love how all the european countries are so close together!! I´m planning trips to London and Paris and hopefully more!! I can´t wait. I love to travel!

So, some bad news. Everyone at the center- well, mostly everyone is sick. Including me. I have the same thing I get every year, the upper respiratory junk. I need some expectorant because my chest is very congested... hopefully I don´t get pneumonia! I´ve been sleeping a lot and trying to get better and so far it´s working! I took a 5 hour siesta yesterday and then 4 hours later went to sleep for the entire night. How sad, but I do feel better today... despite the fact that I can´t cough up any of the gross congestion.

one last thing, Happy Birthday Erin!! Today is little sissy´s 19th birthday! Just think... one more year and then she´ll be 20. I feel so old.... wow.

Love,
Merick :)

1 comment:

Followers